MVAIC: Uninsured Coverage for New Yorkers

hello world!
September 8, 2017

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident or in an accident where the person at fault is uninsured and you do not have your own motor vehicle insurance coverage your rights to file an auto insurance claim still exist. There is an organization you can turn to in order to make your claim. The organization is the New York State Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (MVAIC). The MVAIC can compensate you for economic losses such as doctor bills, lost wages and household help as well as your pain and suffering for any injuries you sustained.

MVAIC provides no-fault and bodily injury coverage to those claimants who are eligible for benefits. To be eligible for MVAIC coverage the auto accident must have occurred in New York state; you are a legal resident of New York when the accident occurred; neither you nor anyone in your household has automobile insurance; and neither you (nor your spouse) is the owner of the vehicle that was involved in the accident.

Additionally, there are certain conditions that must be adhered to when making a claim. For example, the motor vehicle accident must be reported to police within 24 hours of the accident; a Notice of Intention (NOI) is submitted to MVAIC within 90 days of the accident, if the accident was with a hit & run or unidentified motor vehicle; and an NOI is submitted to MVAIC within 180 days of the accident, if the accident was with an identified motor vehicle.

Accidents are unfortunate and even more so when the party at fault is uninsured. If you find yourself in this situation contact the MVAIC at (646) 205-7800, or give our law firm a call and we can direct you in the right direction.

Recent Comments

    Leave a Reply